Sectional Sofa – Progress Report (28th August)

Well, it’s been quite a while since we posted a progress update on the sectional – been busy finishing off the dining table after the new legs arrived and also waiting on deliveries of foam and fabric to continue moving forward with the sofa.

In addition to waiting on materials, we have also been learning how to build detailed plans for our builds using sketchup. Whilst we still have a lot to learn, we have decided to use the sofa as a ‘test’ case for publishing some more detailed build plans as we progress – would love to hear your thoughts on whether these add any value.

At the end of July in our last post, we had just finished the webbing on the main section base. Using the plans that we built in sketchup (see above), we finished off the framing for the other 3 sections of the sectional. As discussed in the plans section, each section of framing has been designed so that it can be upholstered separately and then bolted together when complete.

As a bit of a check point – once we had completed building the frames, we moved them into the Great room to check the dimensions were going to work. They look amazing and are going to fit the space perfectly!

Once the framing was completed, next step was to add the webbing to each of the base and back sections. After much debate we decided to use webbing on both sides of the back sections to use as a surface to adhere the foam to. We had failed attempts using various fabrics as a back covering and didn’t want to use plywood and add extra weight to the already heavy frames.

Once the webbing was complete, next step was to add 1/2″ foam (from www.thefoamfactory.com) to cover all of the exposed surfaces. We used a combination of the Lux-HQ (Dark Blue) and the Lux-R (Light Blue) to try and save a little extra cost (although the reality is that it has probably only saved $20 for the whole project). Having not been overly impressed with the adhesive that we used in the previous posts, we switched to 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive to see if we had any better success. To try and get sharper, tighter edges on the foam, we used some scrap wood and clamps to keep the foam in place until the adhesive had fully dried.

With all of the foam completed the fun began with the upholstery. Look out for the next post to see progress

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *