Before we started with the bedroom updates we had an old wire frame bed with oak night stand tables which we bought back in 2006. While there was nothing wrong with the furniture, it didn’t fit with the look we were aiming for in the Master Bedroom. Project Remodel kicked off with what was supposed to be a simple 2×4 and 2×6 floating bed.
Unfortunately since this was our first project, we had no intention of documenting it for the website so the details aren’t quite as thorough as we would have liked.
- Difficulty – Easy (Frame) / Moderate (Cladding)
- Time – 12 – 18 hours
- Cost – ~$150 (doesn’t include the cost of the cladding material which was scrap flooring)
- Table Saw
- Miter Saw
- Drill & Impact Driver
- Wood Clamps (incl. corner clamps)
- Router with 1/8″ roundover bit (optional)
- Materials (TBC – this is from memory)
- 2×6 Lumber (approx 4 x 8′ sections)
- 2×4 Lumber (approx 6 x 8′ sections – I used lots of scrap and leftovers)
- Hardwood floor boards for cladding (or ~8 off 1x6x8 hardwood boards)
- 2 1/2″ and 3 1/2″ construction screws
- Wood glue
- Wood filler (we used DAP Plastic Wood from home depot)
The original frame idea was loosely based on the excellent plans published by Sarah from uglyduckinghouse.com and was planned as follows –
- Lower base built from 2×6 lumber
- Floating base built from 2×4 lumber to measured size of mattress
- Mattress supports made from 1×4 lumber
Since none of the frame was going to be exposed when the bed was finished we used simple 2 1/2″ and 3 1/2″ construction screws and a lot of wood glue to hold the frame together. We also added some corner blocking to allow us to screw the lower and upper frames together and prevent them moving relative to one another.
Note – it would be worthwhile adding some felt feet to the lower base nice and early in the process. We left this till later and it was a pain as the bed became pretty heavy.
When the frame was completed we decided to try and clad it using a lot of leftover oak hardwood floor planks from the rebuild. Any wood can be used as a cladding but since we had so much left over we decided to try and clad the frame for no additional cost.
The challenge with the hardwood was that it was only 5/8″ thick and with a very thin hardwood veneer. We decided to frame it out to look like 2″ thick solid oak which turned out to be a project all in itself. Basic steps outlined as follows
- Selected the longest remaining floorboards that we had left in the stack
- Ripped a 45 degree miter joint using the table saw along the top edge of the boards (this is tricky to get a perfect miter over such a long board)
- Ripped a thinner 2″ section of board with another 45deg miter along the edge
- Glued and stapled some scrap 1×4″ wood to the backside of the larger board with the upper edge aligned with the edge of the miter joint. This was done to make it easier to attach the 2″ strip and also to give us something to attach the boards to the bed frame
- Glued the 2″ strip along the top edge of the board to create the effect of a solid 2″ thick section of oak. It was almost impossible to get a perfect miter joint all along the seam so we used a combination of 2 different tricks
- For small gaps – rub some wood glue with some sawdust into the gap and sand once dry
- Use some wood filler (color matched) for the bigger holes
- Ran a 1/8″ roundover bit with the router along the mitered edge to get a much cleaner looking finish
- When we had finished with building our new 2″ thick ‘solid’ oak boards, we cut a miter at each corner and attached them to the 2×4 frame using glue and some 2″ construction screws. We filled in any gaps and ran the 1/8″ roundover bit over the edge of the corner miters to get a cleaner looking corner.
- Note that we only clad 3 sides of the bed – the edge against the back wall was left unclad since trying to cut 4 perfect miter joints for the frame was more work than we wanted to take on…
Finally we glued some additional floor planks along the edge of the lower 2×6 frame to complete the effect of an expensive solid oak bed frame. The final effect turned out to be an impressive custom bed frame built to match the aesthetic of our master bedroom.